• The inmates at Edmonton Institution have an alternate means to voice a grievance. The inmates can make a written complaint and submit to the appropriate authority, as mentioned above, or they can turn to the Arbitration and Mediation Society. This Society is a community based, non-profit organization that assists in mediating disputes. This Society helps by setting up a panel of peer inmates and a redress officer. The Arbitration and Mediation Society resolves up to 90% of grievances it receives. The Society investigates whether the complaint is justified, and whether a hearing is necessary. If so, a hearing is held, and a written report of the Society's recommendation is submitted to the Warden of the Edmonton Institution.

2) If an inmate does not agree with a decision rendered at the initial complaint stage, an appeal can be made to the Warden of the penitentiary. The Warden holds a grievance hearing with the inmate.
3) If the Warden's decision is not satisfactory in the eyes of the inmate, an appeal can be made to Regional Headquarters. The Regional Deputy Commissioner makes the decision at this level.
 4)  If the answer from regional headquarters is not agreeable, an appeal can be made to the Commissioner of Corrections.
5)  If the inmate does not agree with the decision from the Commissioner, an appeal can be made to the Federal Correctional Investigator. 

The objective of the internal grievance procedure is to establish an inmate grievance procedure at every penitentiary in order to provide a fair and timely means to resolve grievances about matters falling within the responsibility of the Commissioner of Corrections (Solicitor General Canada, 1987, p. 115).