Over the years, the John Howard Society of Alberta has created a large collection of research & policy documents for public legal education.
We are pleased to offer the public as much of our older materials as possible, in order to assist researchers, students, and anyone else interested in the history of criminal justice in Alberta and Canada.
An Important Note
Some of the documents listed below are no longer accurate due to changes in legislation or policy, and so are primarily useful for research purposes only. If you are concerned, please contact us and we can give you more information about current legislation and policy.
All documents below are in PDF format except where indicated.
- Crime Prevention Through Social Development (2000) [PDF]
- Crime Prevention Through Social Development: A Literature Review (1995) [PDF]
- Crime Prevention Through Social Development: A Resource Guide (1995) [PDF]
Effective April 01, 2003, the Parliament of Canada repealed The Young Offenders Act, and replaced it with The Youth Criminal Justice Act. The papers below dated prior to 2003 refer to The Young Offenders Act, so references to the legislation are no longer correct, but the observations and empirical evidence surrounding youth justice matters remain accurate and should be considered within the context of The Youth Criminal Justice Act. Papers dated after 2003 reference the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
- A Closer Look at Youth and Crime in Canada (2008)
- Alternative Custody Programs for Youth (1997)
- Harsh Reality of the Young Offenders Act (1999) [PDF]
- Justice for Young Offenders (2007) [PDF]
- Parental Liability Laws (1997) [PDF]
- Response to Renewing Youth Justice (1997) [PDF]
- Response (1992) to the Young Offenders Act Amendments
- Response (1994) to the Young Offenders Act Amendments [PDF]
- Response (1994) to the Young Offenders Act Provincial Review [PDF]
- Youth Crime in Canada: Public Perception vs. Statistical Information (1998) [PDF]
- Youth Criminal Justice Act Handbook (2007) [PDF]
- Youth Criminal Justice Act Roundtable - Submission of John Howard Societies in Alberta (May 21, 2008) [PDF]
- Youth Justice Committees in Alberta (2007) [PDF]
Special Needs Offenders
- Batterers' Treatment Programs (2001) [PDF]
- Sex Offender Treatment Programs (2002) [PDF]
- Community Notification (1997) [PDF]
- Dangerous Offender Legislation Around the World (1999) [PDF]
- Offender Risk Assessment (2000) [PDF]
- Response to Dangerous Offender Proposals (1993) [PDF]
- Response to High Risk Offender Proposals (1997) [PDF]
- Sex Offender Recidivism (1999) [PDF]
- Criminal Justice Reform (Feb. 2007) [PDF]
- Response to Alberta Summit on Justice (1998) [PDF]
- Restorative Justice (1997) [PDF]
- Victim-Offender Reconciliation Programs (1998) [PDF]
- Analysis of Credit for Time Served in Remand (2009) [PDF] [MS Word]
- Attendance Centres (2000) [PDF]
- Community Corrections (1998) [PDF]
- Conditional Sentences (2000) [PDF]
- Electronic Monitoring (2000) [PDF]
- Electronic Monitoring Update (2006) [PDF]
- Response (1994) to Sentencing Amendments [PDF]
- Sentencing in Canada (1999) [PDF]
- Boot Camps: Issues for Canada (1998) [PDF]
- Effects of Long Term Incarceration (1999) [PDF]
- Inmate Education (2002) [PDF]
- Inmate Industries (2002) [PDF]
- Inmate Rights and Grievance Options (1998) [PDF]
- Inmate Voting Rights (2000) [PDF]
- Life Imprisonment (1998) [PDF]
- Prison and Jail Suicide (1999) [PDF]
- Prison Overcrowding (1996) [PDF]
Post-Imprisonment and Aftercare
- Halfway Houses (2001) [PDF]
- Response to Corrections and Conditional Release Act Amendments (1994) [PDF]
- Response to Proposed Corrections and Conditional Release Act (1992) [PDF]
- Recidivism & Short Term Inmates (2002) [PDF]
- Correctional User Fees (2001) [PDF]
- Costs of Criminal Justice (1997) [PDF]
- An Examination of Citizen Involvement in Complaints Regarding Police (2005) [PDF]
- Fear of Crime (1999) [PDF]
- Gangs (2001) [PDF]
- Offender Registry (2001) [PDF]
- Prostitution (2001) [PDF]
- Role of the Police (1997) [PDF]
- Social Capital, Social Entrepreneurs and Safer Communities – Enabling Alberta’s Communities to Work out Lasting Solutions (2008) [PDF]
- Victim Impact Statements(1997) [PDF]
- Women and Violence (2001) [PDF]
NGO Justice Summit Newsletter
The newsletters below highlight progress and initiatives related to the Alberta Summit on Justice that are of interest to non-government organizations (NGOs). These documents were prepared by our office as part of Executive Director Christine Leonard's role as the NGO Representative to the Minister of Justice's Policy Advisory Committee on the Alberta Summit on Justice.
- Volume 1 - July 2000 [PDF]
- Volume 2 - February 2001 [PDF]
- Volume 3 - June 2001 [PDF]
- Volume 4 - September 2001 [PDF]
- Volume 5 - December 2001 [PDF]
- Volume 6 - February 2002 [PDF]
- Volume 7 - April 2002 [PDF]
The Reporter Newsletter Archives
For many years, The John Howard Society of Alberta published The Reporter, a newsletter that covered topics such as law, criminal justice, and their impact on society.
Except where noted, all past issues are in PDF format.
- Summer 2008 - "Betwixt & Between; When Does a Child Become an Adult?"
- Spring 2008 - "Utilizing Game Theory to Inform Justice Policy Development"
- Fall 2007 - "Achieving Safer Communities In Alberta"
- Spring 2007 - "Can Tough on Crime Policies Give Us Safe Communities?"
- Winter 2007 - "Of Rights & Responsibilities"
- Fall 2006 - "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"
- Spring 2006 - A Drug Treatment Court for Edmonton
- Fall 2005 - The Evolution of Criminal Justice System at the Beginning of the 21st Century
- Spring 2005 - The Role of the Courts in Canadian Criminal Justice
- December 2001 - Offender Registry
- September 2001 - Community Based Criminal Justice: A Critical Examination
- May 2001 - Electronic Monitoring
- December 2000 - Attendance Centres
- September 2000 - Conditional Sentences
- May 2000 - Community Involvement in Youth Justice: Opportunities for Action - Unavailable electronically. For a free copy of this issue, please contact us.
- December 1999 - Criminal Records - Unavailable electronically. For a free copy of this issue, please contact us.
- September 1999 - Drug Misuse in Canada: Moving Toward a Harm Reduction Approach
- May 1999 - Youth Criminal Justice Act
- December 1998 - Inmate Voting Rights
- September 1998 - Society Responds to Summit on Justice
- May 1998 - Youth Justice Strategy, Alberta Summit on Justice, Criminal Justice Education
- January 1998 - Youth Violence, Parental Liability Laws
- A Guide to the Young Offenders Act in Alberta (4th Edition) [PDF] - more of historical interest, since it was replaced by the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA) in 2003. We have more current information on the YCJA on our Research & Policy page. For the latest information, please contact us.
- Understanding Criminal Records [PDF]
- List of HIV/AIDS /Hepatitis C and NPNU Resources in Alberta [PDF] - NOTE: This document was prepared by our office in 2001 as part of our work on the Law Enforcement and Corrections Task Group of the Alberta Non-Prescription Needle Use (NPNU) Consortium. Contact information for some of the agencies has changed since this was published.